Congratulations your pregnant! If it took you years or was an accident…in any case you’re thrilled and overwhelmed with the new life you’re about to bring into this world. Along with the doctor visits, planning, reading, shopping and endless amount of unwanted baby advice you want to treasure this time. So you look into getting a maternity shoot done… you’ve seen all those gorgeous flowing dresses on insta and etsy…how beautiful right? Then there is a newborn session to think about too!
Now you have to start searching for a photographer…oh my there are so many! You post a comment on facebook and ask all your friends for input…50 comments later you’re still overwhelmed. How to decide? You maybe know of a friend who is just starting…low price is on your mind…there is another photog that did great work for a coworker but omg why are her prices so high? You end up going with someone in the middle…has shot a few newborns and isn’t crazy expensive and ooooo you love all these matte looks on her photographs..wondering what filter she uses. BTW not one professional photographer uses a filter…we seriously hate filters especially those on insta..anyways…Yes, done! Send email, check! Sign contract (I hope), check! Have a phone convo or meet-up, check! Send deposit, check! Yay! Now let’s have this baby!
All of that is great (for the most part) but have you asked her some serious questions besides the booking fee and if you’ll get all the digital files? If your photog can’t answer the following questions honestly, it’s time to rethink your decision, it may actually save the life of your baby.
- How many years have you been working as a newborn photographer and about how many babies have you handled up until now?
- Have you received any newborn specific posing training and with who?
- What safety practices do you have in place for your studio for a newborn client?
- Will my newborn be supported by human hands in all upright positions as well as any poses requiring suspension?
- What happens in case of illness, yours or otherwise?
- Do you know how to sense when a newborn is overheating or in distress?
Overall you really need to do your homework when it comes to choosing a photographer that will be handling your most precious gift. If you have more questions or interesting in booking a session please contact me here.